CHANJE is an interdisciplinary team with a physician and nurse practitioner in healthcare and a social worker in the courts in Newark, New Jersey.
Neither systems are equipped to fully serve people who are juggling both legal and healthcare problems.
Our approach is to conceptualize legal involvement as a social determinant of health (SDoH).
Our goal is to align our fields of practice and create a series of interventions to address legal and healthcare needs as one. To this end, the project aims to:
- More fully understand how people make decisions about their wellbeing when they have competing legal and healthcare needs.
- Strengthen the capacity of both systems to respond its consumers’ legal and healthcare needs.
- Implement an “exchange program” across both anchor systems.
We will share more information when the project completes at the end of 2022.
CHANJE Poster Presentation
LocationNewark, New JerseyFocus Areas Community Impact
- People Over Programs Fix Broken Systems
- Toolkit for Reframing Legal Involvement as a Social Determinant of Health